Whether for a small journal, pens, pencils, and a few snacks for a walk in the woods, or a wallet, keys and phone for a night excursion on the city streets, the Hunter Satchel is perfectly sized to bring only what you need. Available in our 7 classic colours. Learn More
It is said in the army when preparing for a mission, “bring only what you need.” In the world of exploration, “bring only what you need.” And again in setting out to scale a mountain “bring only what you need.”
Our Hunter Satchel is reminiscent of the satchels of the old days – carried by the likes of George Washington, of the Possibles Bag from Mountain Men traversing the American frontier in the early 1880s, and of the military map cases strapped to the backs of soldiers who fought bravely in WWII. Each bag was designed to simply carry the essential items of their time and circumstance. Constructed from waxed canvas, vegetable-tanned leather and vintage fabric from the late 1800s, our Hunter Satchel continues this legacy for our day. Whether it be a journal, pens, pencils, and a few snacks for a walk in the woods, or a wallet, keys, and phone for a night excursion on the city streets, the Hunter Satchel is perfectly sized to bring only what you need.
Our vegetable tanned leather comes from Wickett & Craig – only a stone’s throw from our shop in Philadelphia – they use a slow, natural, and eco-friendly process of tanning raw hides with natural, biodegradable extracts derived entirely from vegetable sources such as tree bark.
Constructed waxed canvas originated in the sailing industry in Scotland in the 1920s and became widely used in sportswear and apparel because of its waterproofing abilities and superb durability.
- 15 oz. waxed duck canvas (19 oz. with wax)
- Leather strap and clasp from vegetable-tanned leather
- Vintage fabric pocket lining varies from bag to bag
- Brass rivets and button studs
- 1 interior pocket
- 8 canvas colours available
- Minimally packaged with tag and string
- AMAmanda M.Verified BuyerRated 5 out of 5 stars2 years agoReviewingThe Small Hunter SatchelMy new constant companion
The perfect size to pack my phone and keys on quick trips with room to spare for whatever treasures my kids find along the way. I love the moss color and the workmanship is top notch as I have come to expect from Peg & Awl.
- ANAmy N.Verified BuyerRated 5 out of 5 stars2 years agoReviewingThe Small Hunter SatchelI love my small Hunter
I love my small Hunter Satchel. I bought one in "truffle," and it is such a great, natural - and neutral - color. It's a perfect size for me to carry just the few things I need on a daily basis. One of my favorite things about it is the little tab under the buckle that you can slip your finger under. This prevents you from smashing anything in your bag. I thought that was such a small, but smart and important feature.
- KJKevin J.Verified BuyerRated 5 out of 5 stars3 years agoReviewingThe Small Hunter SatchelSmall Hunter Satchel
Fits my drawing essentials (including my sendak artist mini roll). It’s perfect for when I don’t want to be weighed down with a heavy pack....and it looks great!
- BTBrianna T.Verified BuyerRated 5 out of 5 stars5 years agoReviewingThe Small Hunter SatchelGorgeous!
I love my small hunter satchel so very much! It is made with such care and precision and the quality of materials is incredible. I purchased a few pouches as well but intended as gifts and I’m having a hard time parting with them!