PLEASE NOTE: We have changed the glass palette previously included with the Oil / Acrylic version (and shown in the photographs) to a more durable white Corian version.
The Scout Plein Air Box was inspired by our endeavor to make art every day.
This pochade box compactly secures all of your essential art supplies for painting outdoors. Fill your box with your favorite colors, paintbrushes, and sketchbook. Find your spot and quickly transform the box into a mini studio. Set it on a flat surface or mount it on a tripod, snap the liquid jars, brush holder, and easel in place, clip on your canvas and you are ready to paint!
When stepping outside, perspective changes and we discover unknown parts of ourselves. By making plein air painting a ritual, we are able to better consider our world and our relationship with it. We begin to observe more closely, to better see color, and to hone memory whilst striving to capture fleeting moments.
Sling your Scout Plein Air Box over your shoulder and set out on a painting adventure—you might just find something!
“There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something… You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.”
–from The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
- FSC-Certified Walnut or Maple from south-eastern USA
- Vegetable-tanned leather
- Brass rivets and button studs
- Steel snaps and buckle
- 1 exterior pocket and 1 interior pocket
- 4 slots for drying canvases (4″ × 6″)
- Threaded tripod mount (standard 1/4 in camera socket. We use a Peak Design Travel Tripod)
Parts Included with All Options
- 1 adjustable and removable shoulder strap
- 2 magnetic drawers
- 1 wooden easel
- 2 snap-on jars (1 oz. / 30 ml)
- 1 snap-on brush holder (holds 8 brushes)
- 2 binder clips for holding the canvas
Additional Parts Included with the Oil / Acrylic Option
- 1 laminated glass palette with white bottom
- 4 Ampersand Gessobord canvas boards (4″ × 6″)
- 8 empty paint tubes (22 ml)
Additional Parts Included with the Watercolor Option
- 1 wooden watercolor palette with 12 paint wells and 1 mixing well sealed with EcoPoxy
- 4 Ampersand Aquabord canvas boards (4″ × 6″)
Approximately 5 lbs. 8 oz.
|Box Only||8.5″ tall by 6.625″ wide by 4.75″ deep|
|Box with Leather Cover||8.75″ tall by 6.625″ wide by 5.25″ deep|
|Drawer Inside||4.875″ long by 3.5″ wide by 1.625″ deep; 0.25″ rounded corners|
|Outside Pouch||6.5″ tall by 5.5″ wide|
|Inside Pouch||7.5″ tall by 5″ wide|
|Shoulder Strap||Adjustable from 34.5″ to 46.5″ long; approximately 16″ to 22″ shoulder drop|
|Ampersand Canvases||6″ wide by 4″ tall by 0.25″ thick|
|Corian Palette||6″ wide by 4″ tall by 0.25″ thick|
Wooden Watercolor Palette
|Palette||6″ wide by 4″ tall by 0.5″ thick|
|Paint Wells (×12)||0.875″ long by 0.5″ wide by 0.25″ deep|
|Mixing Well||3.438″ long by 2″ wide by 0.25″ deep|
- SWspencer w.Verified BuyerRated 5 out of 5 stars7 months agoReviewingThe Scout Plein Air BoxThe best thing I’ve invested in. Ever.
I remember when Margeaux and Walter announced the PLEIN air Scout Pochade Box about 3 years ago. I immediately knew it was something I’d invest in…fast forward to today and I am happy to announce that one of their beautiful, intentional boxes sits neatly on my antique wooden desk, also handmade from New Mexico, and it is the most beautiful sight. It is functional, petite, hardy and hand crafted to be a perfectly compact little art studio. I am most pleased with this investment! The best one I’ve made for my creative practice thus far.
- PFPaul F.Verified BuyerRated 5 out of 5 stars1 year agoReviewingThe Scout Plein Air BoxA wonderful birthday gift. Easy
A wonderful birthday gift. Easy to set up and use. I have the watercolor version and it has more than enough room for my paints, brushes and pencils/ ink.
- BWBen W.Verified BuyerRated 5 out of 5 stars1 year agoReviewingThe Scout Plein Air Boxa lovely, versatile painting studio
This is such a wonderful, well-crafted, inspiring little painting studio. I opted for both palette styles, so I’m using it for watercolors and oils. I love being able to quickly swap out and rearrange the components, and the attachable jars and brush holder are very convenient. The quality and attention to detail are top notch. I love it and am so glad I decided to pick it up.
- JAJanah A.Verified BuyerRated 5 out of 5 stars1 year agoReviewingThe Scout Plein Air BoxPaint more!
This is a beautiful piece of studio equipment. It makes me WANT to use it. It looks gorgeous, and holds everything you need neatly so you aren’t juggling when you just want to paint.